Auditions for next year’s band placements are right around the corner. The key to a successful audition: preparation! Cramming for an audition never works, so start today and you may find you kill some of those annoying butterflies that keep hanging around.
- No procrastination. If you wait until the week of, you won’t be prepared.
- Set a practice schedule and stick to it. Try practicing the same time of day and on the same days of the week for best results.
- Practice difficult scales or portions of your music for a longer time frame. Try 5-10 repetitions for each difficult scale, or 5-10 extra minutes on that difficult passage.
- Turn the TV and cell phone off while you practice to limit your distractions. Texting can wait.
- Relax! Sometimes we’re our own worst enemy. Don’t demand perfection – allow yourself the freedom to make mistakes and keep going. If you start dwelling on the bad stuff during the audition, you’ll wind up making more mistakes.
- Get a good night of rest the night before.
- On the day of the audition, take a walk beforehand. This will help get rid of some of the nervous energy and get the oxygen flowing.
- Eat a healthy breakfast and drink water. Avoid caffeine and sugary meals.
- Dress in comfortable clothes (professional if necessary) and bring a sweater.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to warm up before hand.
- Have fun and enjoy the music!
- Did I mention practice????
“Failing to prepare is like preparing to fail.” ~Sir James Galway